[Comerrers] Welcome and proposal

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:07:49 -0400 (EDT)

It's been a week since I sent the invitation to this list, so I figure
everyone who's going to join, has.

I offer this proposal in the vein of internationalization:
-a flag to compile_et which will cause it to generate .po files
-another flag to compile_et (or perhaps the default and a flag to disable)
 which causes error_message, com_err et al to call gettext on the message
 string. If this defaults to on, it should only do so if the system
 supports gettext, either natively or as a result of the comerr
 implementation including a suitable library (which GNU gettext may or may
 not be due to licensing considerations for any given environment, but
 that's out of scope)

Neither of these is terribly complicated, the most problematic is "do all
known implementations of gettext work correctly when e.g.
  setlocale();
  bindtextdomain();
  textdomain();
haven't happened."

Is this a workable proposal?

Finally, and this is out of scope but it's worth asking about, AFS has
add_to_error_table, and kth-krb/Heimdal has com_right/initialize_error_table_r;
Do any of the other implementations have functionality not replicated in
the others?