Proposal to export gssapi context

Jeffrey Hutzelman
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:18:58 -0500

Followups to, please.

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 11:47:01 -0600 Nicolas Williams 
<> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:41:54PM +0100, Martin Rex wrote:
>> Could we please call anything in that direction an optional extension
>> to GSS-API that doesn't change the existing base spec in any way?
> [...]
> I think a KITTEN mailing list will likely be available soon.  We should
> move this discussion there then.

The mailing list Nico speaks of is now available.
The list submission address is <>
Subscribe at
Manual subscription requests to <>
Archives are at

> The immediate goal is to have a BoF at the 60th IETF on the creation of
> a new WG, KITTEN, child of CAT.  Some of us have a significant list of
> possible work items for the new WG.
> We should figure out whether there's enough interest in or work for such
> a WG, work on a charter, search for a chair and all that before we dive
> into specific proposals' technical details.

Just from the past few days, it's clear to me that we have enough interest 
to hold a BOF.  I agree that the next step should be to try to determine 
approximately what we think the scope of the proposed WG should be, and 
come up with a specific list of work items -- in other words, work on a 
proposed charter.  Once we have a better idea of these things, we can ask 
the security AD's for approval to hold a BOF in San Diego.

Approval for forming a working group and of the exact charter will be up to 
the IESG, likely based on the results of the BOF.  If a working group is 
formed, the responsible Area Directors will select a chair (I'll be happy 
to volunteer).

As noted above, please send followups to the new mailing list at 

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA