automating 'vos release'

Jim Barlow jbarlow@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:23:03 -0500

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:02:37AM -0400, David R Boldt wrote:

> * if the read/write version of a volume has not changed since
>    the last release, will "vos release" no-op, or will it try to
>    synchronize anyway.

It will try to sync with the RO copies.  However, it will only update the
modified information.

> * would it make sense to attempt to determine whether a volume
>   has changed before doing a release?  --I don't have a very good
>   sense for how resource expensive "vos release" is.
>
>    if it would be a good idea to only release when necessary, is there
>    a more efficient way to discover whether a read/write volume has
>    changed since the last release other than comparing the mtimes
>    of all directories in the volumes?
> Is anyone else doing this sort of thing?

We do this very thing with a perl script with a large number of our
volumes.  However, you can check the "Last Update" time of a read-write
volume against one of it's corresponding read-only volumes to determine
if a vos release needs to be done (done with a vos exam).  You can check
just one read-only copy, or all of them.

--
James J. Barlow   <jbarlow@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Senior System Engineer