Windows with Krb5

Kevin Rowland krowland@nd.edu
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:55:42 -0500

The NT client doesn't use fakeka for it's authentication. It uses
udp/750 (standard K4). Because of that, the first enctype that is stored
in the KDC for a user is the one that will be used (I think). What we
did was make sure the our kdc.conf listed the 'des-cbc-crc:afs3' enctype
first. This seemed to satisfy the NT clients. UMICH has made some
modifications to the K4 libraries to make them act more like a kaServer,
but since we have no K4 salted keys (only afs3 style) besides the K5
keys in the KDC, we just ordered them with afs3 at the top.

Question: Does anyone see that as being a problem? So far everything
seems fine in our testing. Since K5 allows for the client to specify
which enctype it supports, the issue seemed to only affect K4 style
authentications...

-- kevin

| Kevin Rowland                          Phone:   (219)631-4745     |
| Sr. Systems Engineer                   Email: krowland@nd.edu     |
| Office of Information Technology       G208 Hesburgh Library      |
| University of Notre Dame               Notre Dame, IN   46556     |