AIX Mail stored in AFS space

Michael Pelletier mike@alteon.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:29:31 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, R McGee wrote:

> We currently are in production at AIX 4.3.3 and AFS 3.5.  We have our
> mail set up through a central mail server and NFS mount /var/spool/mail/
> from that server to every client machine.  Of course, anytime we have a
> problem with our mail server, EVERYONE feels it and grumbles loudly.  We
> would like to convert to a mail scheme where the mail is delivered and
> stored in the users AFS home directory and the need for a NFS mount is
> eliminated.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done
> this, with any associated problems, nuances, etc. and some direction on
> how to get it implemented.

As I understand it, the authentication scheme makes that kind of
difficult. At the University of Michigan, when I was there, we deployed
IMAP from UWashington (http://www.imap.org/), and had the mail stored on a
central mail spool. All the remote machines were set up as "drone"
systems, using what is now referred to as a "smart host" config, and would
read their mail via an IMAP connection.  We also tinkered a bit with using
"MB" records in the nameserver to assign different users to different mail
servers. I learned more about sendmail.cf syntax than anyone really should
know...

	-Michael Pelletier.