Sun's 'logging' mount option -- our findings -- RUN AWAY

Jeff Blaine jblaine@linus.mitre.org
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:18:34 -0500

>            Perhaps you can use 'lockfs -f /vicepNNN' after you have
>            done a 'bos shutdown' of the server in question.  I'm
>            going to try that tonight, just after praying to every
>            god I can think of.

It didn't help us.

Turning off logging in /etc/vfstab, doing a bos shutdown, using lockfs
-f on each /vice partition, and rebooting resulted in an fsck of every
/vice partition and the same exact filesystem inconsistency errors
on each one, which got fixed by fsck, but forced a full salvage to be
done, at which point salvager blew away all sorts of good data.

Another full server restore from tape.