Any idea

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:55:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Marcus Watts wrote:

> Terry McCoy <terry@nd.edu> writes:
> > Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:31:37 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Terry McCoy <terry@nd.edu>
> > To: info-afs@transarc.com
> > Subject: Any idea
> >
> > Below are messages that were recorded in the FileLog on a number of
> > my AFS servers (one message per server).
> >

> > Would anyone be able to tell me what these messages mean?
> >

> > Thu May 24 13:18:16 2001 Host 65fee0 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:18:18 2001 Host 419dc0 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:44 2001 Host 837af0 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:47 2001 Host 849508 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:48 2001 Host 41cce0 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:48 2001 Host 80bb58 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:48 2001 Host 9355e0 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:21:48 2001 Host 9dc880 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> > Thu May 24 13:44:24 2001 Host d762f8 used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> >

> > tHanKs
> > --
> > Terry McCoy                             email:  terry@nd.edu
> > Sr Systems Engineer                     phone:  (219) 631-4274
> > Office of Information Technologies
> > University of Notre Dame
> >

> These come from viced/host.c, in the routine h_GetHost_r.  In AFS 3.4,
> this routine was called h_GetHost, and it always made a call to
> RXAFSCB_InitCallBackState when a new connection from a cache manager
> was seen.  In AFS 3.6, there's apparently a replacement call,
> RXAFSCB_WhoAreYou, and on the initial contact, this call is first
> made.  If it returns RXGEN_OPCODE (ie, it was an "old" cache manager),
> then it reverts to doing RXAFSCB_InitCallBackState and marks
> identP->valid 0, otherwise, it marks identP->valid 1.  In otherwords,
> it starts out assuming 3.6, and falls back to 3.4 behavior.  On
> subsequent calls, if h_GetHost_r gets a RXGEN_OPCODE error, it
> complains
> 	Host %x used to support WhoAreYou, deleting.
> and arranges to start over.
>
> The only reason you *should* be seeing such messages is if you had one
> or more machines that was for some reason switching cache manager
> versions fairly frequently, or if you had a really bizarre problem with
> a router (or something doing some really wild dynamic network IP
> address translation (NAT) with UDP datagrams)?

Actually, I can thing of another situation which could cause this.
If you have clients which get dynamic addresses from a DHCP or bootp
server, then you will get a message like this when a machine running an
older AFS client gets assigned an address which was previously used by a
machine running a newer client.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer