Any idea

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:00:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Terry McCoy wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I can thing of another situation which could cause this.
> > If you have clients which get dynamic addresses from a DHCP or bootp
> > server, then you will get a message like this when a machine running an
> > older AFS client gets assigned an address which was previously used by a
> > machine running a newer client.
> >

> Jeff:
>
> I believe that this may be the case, many of the NT workstations on campus
> are using DHCP.
>
> When you say "older" and "newer" are you making a referencing to a point
> in time when the respective cache managers talked to the file servers.
> Or are you talking about actual versions of the AFS client?

I'm talking about client software versions.  Older versions of the
software did not support the "WhoAreYou" RPC that the fileserver is trying
to make, which is used for verifying the client's UUID and address list.
The point of this call is to allow the fileserver to notice when an
address has been reused by a different client (which has different
callback state).  For clients that support the RPC, this is done by
looking at the results.  In the case where a client formerly supported the
RPC and now does not, it is safe to assume that it is a different client.

-- Jeff