short cell name

Thomas Midgley midgley@us.ibm.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:59:20 -0400

Joel Tompkins writes:
>Hi! Another bonehead question, I suppose: When I did the initial install
of
>afs, I did not create a short cellname symbolic link. Now when I cd to
/afs
>and try to create it, I get "ln: the file system has read permission
only".
>I have tried it as aix root and as afs system:admin. I have checked the
aix
>permissions (drwxrwxrwx and drwxrwx---), and afs acls (system:admins
>rlidwka). Can't figure out why it is not allowing the creation of the
>symbolic link. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
>
>Joel Tompkins
>Senior Information Systems Engineer
>Boise Cascade Corporation
>208-384-6415
>joel_tompkins@bc.com
>
>Brilliance is like four wheel drive, it allows a person to get stuck in
even
>more remote places. - Garrison Keillor

NOT a bonehead question! This can be tricky.
Here's a handy script you can use (this one will echo out commands as
executed for debug purposes):
----------- Cut Here  -----------
#!/bin/ksh
echo "This allows you to create a shortened Cell name "
echo "for the full proper Cell name..."
  echo "Ex. pok.ibm.com shortened to pok"
ADPATH=/usr/afsws/root.server/usr/afs/bin
set -x
read -r "fcell?Full Cellname: "
read -r "shortcell?Shortened Cellname: "
thiscell=`/bin/cat /usr/vice/etc/ThisCell`
cd "/afs/.$thiscell"
$ADPATH/fs mkmount temp root.afs
cd temp
/bin/ln -s $fcell $shortcell
cd ..
$ADPATH/fs rmmount temp
$ADPATH/vos release root.afs -f
$ADPATH/fs checkvolumes

Have fun...
Tom
IBM Global Services, Service Delivery Center - Northeast
UNIX Systems Support, AFS/DCE Team Leader

Poughkeepsie, NY (for Server Group, IMD, and Print)
(845) 435-5804 (tie 295)
"The fact that an opinion is widely held is certainly no evidence that

it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of millions of
mankind, a widespread belief may be more foolish than sensible."
 -- Bertrand Russell