Problem with Sun machines hanging

Bob Cook bobcook@slac.stanford.edu
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:21:29 -0800 (PST)

>This is probably a Solaris problem but I thought I'd throw it out to the
>AFS community in case it  rings a bell...

It definitely rings a bell, but it is an AFS bell rather than a Solaris bell.

We reported this to Transarc last year as their problem TR-53970.  It was
(supposedly) identified as

      * Defect 12418

       (Solaris only) This fix corrects a problem that occurred when a
       process attempted to access the proc file system.

and fixed in level afs3.6 2.5.  There was also a fix for afs3.5, but I don't
know which level it went into, or even if it did.

The "supposedly" above is simply because it's very difficult to determine if
it fixed the problem; we could never reliably recreate the problem.  I can
say that we have no confirmed cases of it occurring on a machine running the
fixed client.