Really slow vos dumps to local disks

Norman P. B. Joseph joseph@ctc.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:45:57 -0500

Well, I learned that the problem with slow "vos dumps" is apparently a well
known (by everyone but me <g>) AFS/Rx issue.  Thanks to some clues dropped in
one or two messages on the openafs-info list I modified my scripts to do "vos
dump"s on each file server machine (instead of just the one), and of only those
volumes that live on that particular file server (instead of -all- volumes).
 The difference was like night and day.  I was able to dump ~5-6 GB of backup
volume data per machine in anywhere between 15 - 30 minutes.  Unbelievable.
 Thanks.

--
 Norman Joseph, UNIX Systems Engineer       joseph@ctc.com        IC|XC
 Concurrent Technologies Corporation         814/269.2633         --+--
                                                                  NI|KA
         ftp://ftp.ctc.com/pub/PGP-keys/joseph.asc

  ***  Do a good deed today.  Visit  http://www.thehungersite.com  ***