anyone running with large server parms on linux afs servers?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Tue, 01 May 2001 17:46:45 +0200

> >From looking around, it looks like a lot of sites are just running without
> any params at all.

I completely understand that. I have the following reasons why I would
not change the params (beyond the three predefined settings in rc.afs):

* I do not feel that I know enough what exactly the parameter changes
  and what effect it will have on server operation.

* I am uncertain that the program protects me from giving unreasonable
  values which resulting in unpredictable behaviour and possible data
  loss.

* I do not think that there are enough checks in the code to protect from
  unreasonable combinations of parameters.

* There is not enough documentation what bracket of values is resonable
  for what parameter and how that depends on the system I'm running on
  (RAM, udp buffer size and so on).

* I doubt that any testing has been done with other than the standard
  set of parameters.

* I do not fancy changing parameters to get a more unique setup compared
  to what everyone else is using. My setup is unique enough without doing
  so.

So I'm not astonished that "don't touch, it works" is the philosophy, but
on the other hand I'm convinced that it is possible to get more out
of for example the Sun 1000E (4-CPU, 512Mb) stacken.kth.se runs if the
parameters would be tuned.

Harald.