Sun A1000 RAID arrays and AFS

Garry Zacheiss zacheiss@mit.edu
Mon, 07 May 2001 17:51:05 -0400

>> Is anyone using Sun A1000 RAID arrays with AFS?  If so, what have
>> been your experiences?  Good?  Bad?

   We're currently using A1000s for about half of the athena.mit.edu
cell; I was the person primarily responsible for integrating them into
our environment, and I haven't had any seriously negative experiences
with them yet.

    At the time we purchased them, we were using Solaris 2.6, and they
just worked with it.  I had a few problems getting them working with
Solaris 7 when the time came to update to that (hanging at boot time on
a boot -r), but I was able to work around them.

    From a management perspective, they're nice; the command line
"raidutil" makes it possible to do almost everything you'll care about
doing without needing to interact with a GUI.

    We're planning to continue to buy them for at least the next year;
if you're able to get a good deal on them, I'd recommend you go for it.

Garry Zacheiss
MIT I/S, Athena Server Operations