[info-afs] Bogus volume after rebuild

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

You probably want to send your message to openafs-info; this list doesn't
get much traffic these days, and doesn't have nearly as many subscribers,
either.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Daniel Miller wrote:

> One of the drives in my RAID-10 array failed so I swapped in a new one and
> rebuilt the array. There were a bunch of kernel errors after the rebuild
> so I ran a reiserfsck --check on the array (it is reiserfs) and it said I
> need to run reiserfsck --rebuildtree to fix the errors, which I did. Now I
> am getting bogus volumes on this partition:
>
> Total number of volumes on server keizan partition /vicepa: 2
> bogus.536870921                   536870921 RW          0 K Off-line
> bogus.536870930                   536870930 RW          0 K Off-line

This is what the salvager does when it finds data belonging to a volume
without a volume header.  Since it doesn't know the volume's real name, it
makes one up.
The first thing you should do is look up that ID in the VLDB and see if
it's a real volume you care about.  Sometimes they end up being temporary
clones left over from a move or release, or data belonging to a volume
that no longer lives on that server.

> 07/14/2006 15:33:27 SALVAGING FILE SYSTEM PARTITION /vicepa (device=vicepa)
> 07/14/2006 15:37:23 ***Forced salvage of all volumes on this partition***
> 07/14/2006 15:37:30 SALVAGING VOLUME 536870921.
> 07/14/2006 15:37:30 bogus.536870921 (536870921) not updated (created
> 05/11/2006 04:12)
> 07/14/2006 15:37:30 iinc failed. inode 43040816528605698 errno 9

error 9 is EBADF.  I'm going to guess that the problem here is that the
link table for that VG is corrupted or missing.  Unfortunately, the
salvager doesn't know how to deal with this situation.

> I'm also trying to do salvage again using 'bos salvage -server keizan
> -partition vicepa -noauth' and I get:
> bos: shutting down fs.
> bos: can't stop 'fs' (you are not authorized for this operation)

Well, yes; since you used -noauth, the request is made without
authentication, and the bosserver denies it.  Performing this operation
requires that you be authenticated as an administrator listed in the
UserList, or else run it on a fileserver with -localauth