[krbwg-51] [grand.central.org #274] Re: Consider keeping name referal

John Brezak via RT rt-krbwg-51@grand.central.org
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:52:23 -0400 (EDT)

[hartmans - Wed Mar 21 17:42:50 2001]:

> Unless the list significantly objects, we want to keep name referal
> for cross realms.  We are still pulling out server name
> canonicalization.

These are the notes from the side meeting that we had in Minneapolis
discussing referrals.

Here are my terse notes from the referrals meeting held on Wednesday
morning.

We had a side meeting to discuss the Kerberos-referrals I-D and
arrive at a shared understanding of the proposal. We divided the
discussion into 3 parts - a) Client name canonicalization, b) server
name canonicalization and c) TGS referrals.

a) Client name canonicalization - the discussion was around the
scenario of a user having a fixed name that is independent of the
user's principal name. If the user's principal name changes (say
they move to another domain), the user's name doesn't change. There
was no general agreement except that everyone appears to understand
the scneario and agreed that it is a valuable bit of functionality.
We intend to discuss this further on the list and in London. However
the kerberos-revisions will reserve the enterprise name type value
and the name-canonicalization kdcoption. There are 2 problems that
are of concern 1) gssapi name canonicalization and 2) the
unauthorized logon attack (Jeff's attack scenario).

1) For the GSSAPI name canonicalization of the client name for use
in ACLs, there is an existing problem with GSSAPI v2 where servers
that have multiple principal names today can have the exact same
problem if a server is to be used as an authorization subject name
that is a GSSAPI canonical name. This problem is not new to the
Kerberos referrals and needs to be addressed in GSSAPI regardless of
how this proceeds.

2) The unauthorized user attack is documented in the current I-D.

b) Server name canonicalization - the scenario was to allow a
service principal to have multiple aliases. In current
implementations this is achieved by having multiple principal names
all with the same key. This is very similar to what we have today,
except that the name is never changed in the ticket (referrals I-D
and Win2000). We need to figure out what is the value of having
a "foo$" name in the ticket - the service doesn't change it anyway
in our implementation. There is one expanded scenario that is very
interesting though (brought up by Ken Reaburn). A user wants to
setup a DNS alias for a computer in a foreign realm. The name that
the local user knows the remote server as is not recorded in the
realm of the server, but you would like to allow kerberos to
canonicalize the server name for mutual authentication. We agree to
investigate this scenario. We also discussed the inclusion of the
ticket extension to convey the non-canonical principal name and all
aliases for the name. This was deemed to be very useful for
optimizing the ticket cache, but this will require more thinking to
apply it properly.

c) TGS referrals - the scenario is that you want to remove extensive
realm binding information from the client configuration. This means
that a TGS request to a realm that does not have that service can
return a referral to a "closer" realm. The change is that instead of
a server returning a service principal unknown error, it will return
an
(unsolicited) cross-realm ticket to a "closer" realm. This saves the
client from having to know the realm of the server beforehand. It
was agreed that this is very useful and should be part of kerberos-
revisions.