Solaris Jumpstart AFS install

James Ervin jervin@email.unc.edu
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:45:18 -0400 (EDT)

We're using finish scripts in conjunction with the JASS toolkit available
from Sun (http://www.sun.com/software/solutions/blueprints/tools/index.html).

We build a number of systems with differing configurations and OS
versions--variety instead of quantity--so we decided to avoid the package
format in favor of something that's more customizable and easier to
update--all we need to do to upgrade the version of AFS we're using is
copy a new sun4x_58.tar or sun4x_57.tar file into place (assuming that the
format of the tar file is constant). The Sun package format didn't seem to
offer anything except the opportunity to use "pkginfo" to tell if AFS was
installed, which wasn't very useful, as others have mentioned. We also
allow some customization by the client as to whether or not they want a
RAM-based AFS cache. Script is here if interested (it needs some
improvement): http://www.unc.edu/~jervin/working/install-afs-client.sh

Eventually, we want to add version control of some kind to this and make
it a begin script as well a finish, so we can Jumpstart a client, back out
a client rapidly, and replace it with an older version (without actually
installing the OS), if need be. Some people have told me they're
interested in using this for server installs, but that's not the case yet.

James Ervin
UNC-Chapel Hill