AFS + RAID?

Robert W. Porter Porter Robert <rwp@clarkson.edu>
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:27:41 -0500 (EST)

We have 3 Ultra60's each with 2 HW SCSI-SCSI (And-a-taco) RAID units
attached.  In total usable GB we have: 4 x 109GB RAIDs, 2 x 50GB RAIDs.
Because in our configure we use the entire unit as a single RAID5 device
with a hot-spare, each RAID is seen as a single DISK by the OS.  Solaris
allows you to have up to 7 slices on a disk, so we've configured 5 slices
on the larger units and 2 on the smaller ones to each have a partition
roughly 20-25GB.  We haven't had any issues with this setup and has been
running for nearly 3 years.

One thing to consider, however, is that the larger filesystems tend to
take longer to salvage.  We've had servers take as long as an hour or
longer to come up because of unclean fs shutdowns -- unfortunately this
specific instance happened due to a power interruption, but it's something
to keep in mind when allocating disk.

--
Robert Porter <rwp@clarkson.edu>
Systems and Network Administrator