AIX Mail stored in AFS space

Touretsky, Gregory gregory.touretsky@intel.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 06:53:13 -0800

Well, we are running our Unix mail server with mailboxes in user's home
directories.
We had to compile sendmail with some fixes and use also reauth module that
klogs every week or so
Mailboxes are located under ~/.Mail/INBOX instead of /var/spool/mail
It works fine.

Gregory Touretsky
IDC Computing / Systems Engineering Group
Unix Server Platforms
gregory.touretsky@intel.com
> (+) 972-4-865-6377, Fax: 04-865-5999
iNET: 465-6377, M/S: IDC-1B

-----Original Message-----
From: R McGee [mailto:mcgee@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 4:40 PM
To: info-afs@transarc.com
Subject: AIX Mail stored in AFS space

We currently are in production at AIX 4.3.3 and AFS 3.5.  We have our mail
set up through a central mail  server and NFS mount /var/spool/mail/ from
that server to every client machine.  Of course, anytime we have a problem
with our mail server, EVERYONE feels it and grumbles loudly.  We would like
to convert to a mail scheme where the mail is delivered and stored in the
users AFS home directory and the need for a NFS mount is eliminated.  I
would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this, with any
associated problems, nuances, etc. and some direction on how to get it
implemented.

All input is appreciated.

Rick McGee
IBM Raleigh