Sun's 'logging' mount option -- our findings -- RUN AWAY

Atro Tossavainen Atro.Tossavainen@helsinki.fi
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:56:03 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

> Within ONE WEEK of enabling 'logging' as a mount option on two of our
> Solaris 2.7 servers (thank GOD none of the other servers got rebooted,
> thus enabling those 'logging' mount options in /etc/vfstab), we've
> experienced severe data problems on just those servers.

I have to contribute another view.

We're running Solaris 2.7 in 64 bit mode. The machine's never ever NOT
had logging as a mount option on the /vice* partitions ever since the
initial install.

It's crashed a few times, power outages and the like. No volume
problems. Never had to run salvager. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to think about what to do with the next
one, which is going to have ~300 GB of disk. Previous experience would
suggest that logging is a good idea. Your experiences are, of course,
to the contrary. Do I have a third option?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,