Sun's 'logging' mount option -- our findings -- RUN AWAY

Jeff Blaine jblaine@linus.mitre.org
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:22:59 -0500

> your story is quite similar to what we experienced in the
> stacken.kth.se cell. It cost some nights, and I got quite upset.
> Fortunately we only had one file server enabled and it was not as
> severe. I "only" had badly corrupted volumes, but no salvager
> segfaults.

Agh!  Mail the list next time with your findings, pleeeeeeease :)

> 3) The salvager is not able to clean out broken backup volumes all the
> time. The only way to "fix" these is to "vos zap -force" them.

Haha, it's as if you were watching over my shoulder over the last 4 days!
That we have the _same_ exact symptoms proves to me that this was not
any sort of fluke on our part.  I hope anyone reading this with logging
turned on has good backups.

> 4) vos backup is not able to overwrite such a corrupted backup volume.
> You have to be very observant to check that you really get backup
> volumes for all volumes when you do vos backupsys.

In our case, the output of our vos backupsys is emailed to us.  The
errors got shrugged off for 3 days.  Lesson learned.  Stupid, stupid,
stupid.

> 5) "vos backup volumename ; vos dump volumename.backup" seems to be a
> reasonable check that your volumes are better again after you tried to
> cure them with the salvager.

The more general problem we had was that with a corrupt backup volume in
place, cloning or re-cloning of the RW is not possible.  This causes the
problem you mentioned above (vos backup) and is also found when trying to
do a 'vos release'.

> I don't understand why the annoying overwrite of log files hasn't been
> fixed a long time ago.  We can afford a big /usr/afs/logs. Write all
> log files with date (SalvageLog.20010221.111059.log or something).
> Never overwrite logfiles.

At someone else's prodding, I looked into this further.  The person pointed
out that once salvager is entirely done, /usr/afs/logs/SalvageLog contains
everything that was in the SalvageLog.NNN files.  Good.

Should you run salvager again, at all, you lose this data.  Horrible.