BAD TRAP occurred in module "afs" due to an illegal access to a user address.

Noel Hunt nhunt@lehman.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:42:33 +0900

I am managing 3 (Sun Ultra2, SunOS 5.6) AFS servers which
have now been upgraded to afs3.5 3.52. We have roughly
300 clients, a mix of Solaris and SunOS 4.x machines.
Most of the clients are still running afs3.4, but we have
begun to upgrade some of the major machines to the same
version as the servers.

Before this upgrade we suddenly started to see many
machines reboot in the mornings at roughly the same time
with the above kernel trap. What is worrying is that this
is still happening with machines that have been upgraded,
even the AFS servers will crash with this error.

I have tried searching the Transarc archives but at this
stage haven't found anything relevant. Is this a known
problem? Also the fact that the reboots happen at about
the same time suggests some cron-related activity but I
haven't been able to determine that yet.

Noel Hunt