AFS startup problem - malloc failure

Kai Lanz lanz@pangea.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:16:43 -0800 (PST)

We had an unexpected  power failure that took down one of our Suns.  When
we reboot it now, AFS won't start up.  System is an Ultra-60, Solaris 2.6,
AFS 3.6 client.  We get the messages:

Starting afsd
afsd: WARNING: cache probably too small!
afsd: malloc() failed for cache file inode table with -25 entries.

How can I fix this?  I've fsck'ed the filesystem, cleared the AFS cache
(by hand and by /purgeafscache), checked afsd, libafs.nonfs.o, etc. (they
compare as identical to the files in the distribution tarball), checked
disk free space (plenty), checked free inodes (lots), increased the
cache size in cacheinfo, without any change in symptoms.

That "-25" should be a clue; where does it come from, anyway?

-- Kai Lanz     lanz@pangea.stanford.edu