Negative quota usage

Atro Tossavainen Atro.Tossavainen@helsinki.fi
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:47:04 +0200 (EET)

cc: AFS support

Jim,

> I did some initial poking around but ended up salvaging the volume which
> corrected the problem.

In fact, this was what AFS support recommended I do as well.

It fixed the problem, but the user had managed to go seriously (giga-
bytes) over quota as a result of the botch. The problem hasn't appeared
again, but I'd like to keep it that way - what's the use for quotas that
don't limit anything? Additionally, if this is something that can be
triggered reliably, not only is it a way for users to exceed their
quotas but they could also (inadvertently, or on purpose) cause DoS
conditions of all sorts.

> This happened two more times in the next few days, but I haven't seen
> the problem since.  I didn't have much time to try to figure things
> out and never reported it to IBM/Transarc.  Let me know if you end up
> reporting this and I'll inform them we had the problem as well.

I did, indeed, so please do.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,