IBM model of AFS support?

Mike W Ellwood m.w.ellwood@rl.ac.uk
Tue, 29 May 2001 17:21:11 +0100 (BST)

I have been somewhat slow catching up with the saga
of the model of support which IBM
are conferring on us in the post-Transarc era.

I know there was a good deal of list traffic on the subject
a while ago, which I must go back and read properly.

Anyway, now that we have finally managed to make contact
with an appropriate branch of IBM in the UK (where I am)
to talk about this, and get a quote, it seems that this
is based on taking Supportline for _AIX_  (since we
are running it on AIX platforms).

Although we run AIX, we have not considered that we
needed AIX supportline for many years (we did have
it at one time). It's not cheap, and taking that
plus AFS support does not come cheap, and is certainly
more than we were paying under the Transarc scheme, even
the revised Transarc scheme.

And this does not even cover product/platform licensing,
I gather, which we still have to sort out.

Well, although it was good to have the cushion of AFS
support under Transarc, I think we could live without
it.

However, we used to notify AFS of changes to our cell
via the Transarc helpdesk (via email).

How does one do this under the IBM model?

I don't really want to have to take out an "n"k GBP
Supportline contact just to update my cell info from
time to time.

Is IBM in other countries taking the same line as
IBM UK?

Thanks,
Mike Ellwood                                      Mike.Ellwood@rl.ac.uk
               speaking for himself, and not for:
               CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
                     Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon
                     GB           OX11 0QX
Tel: 01235-446161                                 Fax:01235-446626