IBM model of AFS support?

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Tue, 29 May 2001 18:30:54 +0100

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:21:11PM +0100, Mike W Ellwood wrote:
> I have been somewhat slow catching up with the saga
> of the model of support which IBM
> are conferring on us in the post-Transarc era.
> Anyway, now that we have finally managed to make contact
> with an appropriate branch of IBM in the UK (where I am)
> to talk about this, and get a quote, it seems that this
> is based on taking Supportline for _AIX_  (since we
> are running it on AIX platforms).

In our case, we have had a spread of quotations from ukp 2,000
to ukp 8,000.  We are now told that despite the high price tag,
we won't get new versions or bug fixes, and we lose the source
license.  My impression is that IBM are actively trying to
discourage AFS customers, certainly in the UK.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk