IBM model of AFS support?

Terry McCoy terry@nd.edu
Tue, 29 May 2001 13:59:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:

> In our case, we have had a spread of quotations from ukp 2,000
> to ukp 8,000.  We are now told that despite the high price tag,
> we won't get new versions or bug fixes, and we lose the source
> license.  My impression is that IBM are actively trying to
> discourage AFS customers, certainly in the UK.
>
>      -- Owen
>      LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

Owen:

I am not that surprised, we have be going through very much the
same song and dance on this side of the pond as well, at least
they are constant :-)

Anyone have any success dealing with the three lettered mammoth
with respect to negotiating a support contract for AFS?  The IBM
folks that we have had to deal with know next to nothing about
the product and the level of support that we had before.

If they keep this up Open AFS is looking more and more attractive.

--
Terry McCoy                             email:  terry@nd.edu
Sr Systems Engineer                     phone:  (219) 631-4274