IBM model of AFS support?

R.Ries@tu-bs.de R.Ries@tu-bs.de
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:13:06 +0200 (METDST)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:21:11PM +0100, Mike W Ellwood wrote:
> > I have been somewhat slow catching up with the saga
> > of the model of support which IBM
> > are conferring on us in the post-Transarc era.
> > Anyway, now that we have finally managed to make contact
> > with an appropriate branch of IBM in the UK (where I am)
> > to talk about this, and get a quote, it seems that this
> > is based on taking Supportline for _AIX_  (since we
> > are running it on AIX platforms).
>
> In our case, we have had a spread of quotations from ukp 2,000
> to ukp 8,000.  We are now told that despite the high price tag,
> we won't get new versions or bug fixes, and we lose the source
> license.  My impression is that IBM are actively trying to
> discourage AFS customers, certainly in the UK.
>
>      -- Owen
>      LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

In Germany we managed to get a support contract for 3 Servers and
2 years inclusive updates (after having a lot of confusion) through
IBM and an IBM Advanced Business Partner. The price is for the academic
community and is about 3500,- DM plus VAT per Server for 2 years,
2700,- DM plus VAT per Server for 1 year.

Mit freundl. Gruessen
Reinhard Ries

Reinhard Ries                          email:      R.Ries@tu-bs.de
Rechenzentrum TU Braunschweig          Tel.:       0531/391 5531
Systembetreuung                        Fax:        0531/391 5549
Hans-Sommer-Str. 65
D - 38106 Braunschweig