recognize enlarged partition

Paul Blackburn mpb@hursley.ibm.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:11:45 +0100

Joel,

If you take a look at the contents of /usr/vice/cache/
you will see a whole bunch of files with names like "V1036".

The first time you start up the AFS client Cache Manager,
these files are created in /usr/vice/cache.

If you change the size of the disk cache then I would
(without running afsd) clear the contents of /usr/vice/cache
to let the AFS Cache Manager rebuild all it's "V9999" files
according to the new cache size.

Here is a summary:

a) This is AIX, so in order to stop AFS client Cache Manager,
     you will need to comment out the entry in /etc/inittab for AFS
     and reboot. Example:

     in /etc/inittab, change:
rcafs:2:wait:/etc/rc.afs > /dev/console 2>&1  # Start AFS Daemons
:rcafs:2:wait:/etc/rc.afs > /dev/console 2>&1  # Start AFS Daemons

b) reboot (AFS does not start)

c) Fiddle with the size of /usr/vice/cache
    Example:
        umount /usr/vice/cache
        rmfs /usr/vice/cache
        # for a 64mb cache, specify 131072 512-byte-blocks
        crfs -vjfs -grootvg -asize=131072 -amount=true -prw -Ayes -m
/usr/vice/cache
        mount /usr/vice/cache

d) Update /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo with the size of the new cache.
     So, for a 64 mb cache, I would calculate 80% giving 52428 kb:

     echo "/afs:/usr/vice/cache:52428" > /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo

d) Restart AFS:
        /etc/rc.afs

e) Re-enable AFS startup at boot:

        edit /etc/inittab, change:
:rcafs:2:wait:/etc/rc.afs > /dev/console 2>&1  # Start AFS Daemons
rcafs:2:wait:/etc/rc.afs > /dev/console 2>&1  # Start AFS Daemons

f) For completeness, reboot and verify AFS is started OK.

I hope this helps.
--
cheers
paul                          http://acm.org/~mpb

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." --Pablo Picasso